WHAT IS REGENERATIVE MEDICINE
Regenerative medicine is the process of replacing, renewing or engineering human cells, tissues, organs, proteins, etc for the purpose of restoring function and homeostasis in the body. One of the key components of regenerative medicine is the use of cell replacement strategies which usually requires stem cells.
WHAT ARE STEM CELLS?
These are undifferentiated cells in our bodies that have the capacity to change into any healthy cell in our body. Meaning they can change into skin, bone, heart and muscle cells to name a few. They have the ability to replicate substantially as compared to normal somatic cells such as skin. Stem cells are located throughout our body in almost every organ and tissue such as bone marrow, fat, teeth, muscles, etc. However, as other cells in our body, stem cells also age as we do. That is why Liveyon distributes stem cells manufactured by Liveyon Labs Inc. from umbilical cord which are young and healthy.
HOW DO STEM CELLS FUNCTION?
- Stem cells have the capacity to migrate to injured tissues, a phenomenon called homing. This occurs by injury/disease signals that are released from the distressed cells/tissue. Once stem cells are delivered to a site of injury or deployed into the bloodstream, they go to these distressed signals and dock onto adjacent cells to commence performing their job.
- 1. They serve as a cell replacement where they change into the needed cell type, such as a muscle cell. This is ideal for traumatic injuries and orthopedic applications.
- 2. They do not express specific HLAs which help them avoid the immune system. In fact, mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) do this so well that they are in clinical studies for graft vs host disease and have been approved for pediatric graft vs host disease in Canada. These studies and data support the notion that the cells are safe to use as an “off the shelf” product such as Liveyon’s cell therapy product.
- 3. They dock on an adjacent cell and release proteins called growth factors, cytokines and chemokines. These factors help control many aspects such as:
- i. Control the immune system and regulate inflammation which is a key mediator of diseases of aging and autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- ii. Help to increase new blood vessel formation which aids in adding vasculature so that tissues can receive proper blood flow and the correct nutrients needed to heal, in cases such as stroke, peripheral artery disease and heart disease.
- iii. Provide trophic support for surrounding tissues and help host endogenous repair. This works great when used in orthopedics as it causes signals to be released which may now activate your own stem cells to repair a knee for instance. In case of diabetes, it may help any remaining beta cells to reproduce or function optimally.
Read more about Liveyon's CELL THERAPy PRODUCT, and see whether stem cells might benefit your patients. To speak with us or place an order, contact us online or call us at 844-LIVEYON .